Soft Storey; Bracing System; Deflection; Storey Drift; Bending Moment; Shear Force.
||The Author(s) 2016. This article is published with open access at www.chitkara.edu.in/publications
A soft storey or a weak storey is one in which the lateral stiffness is less than 70 percent of that in the storey above or it can be less than 80 percent of the average lateral stiffness of the three stories above. For the reduction of lateral deflection of a structure, a bracing system is provided. In seismic design of structure and in high rise structure, the provision of bracing system has become more effective. So this paper aims to find out the effect of bracing on soft storey of steel building. In this paper, G+9 steel frames are modeled with different type of bracing pattern and different combination of soft story using software STAAD Pro. Effect of these different bracings on soft storey is studied for different parameter like column displacement, maximum deflection, storey drift, maximum bending moment, maximum axial force and maximum shear force. From the observed result best type of bracing will be selected.
||Print : 2321-3906, Online : 2321-7146
- Akshay Sonawane, Deepak Sonawane, Satish Jadhav, Rajendra Khemnar, Rohit Mahale, Dumbare, “ Effect of Bracing on Critical Storey of High Rise Frame Structure ”, Interna - tional Conference on Emerging Trends in Engineering and Management Research, pp. 1331-1336, March 2016.
- Hiten L. Kheni, Anuj K. Chandiwala, “ Seismic Response of RC Building with Soft Stories ”, International Journa l of Trends and Technology, Vol.10, Issue 12, pp. 565-568, April 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.1 4445/22315381/IJETT-V10P312.
- IS 1893:2002, Criteria for Earthquake Resistant Design of Structure.
- IS 800:2007, General Construction in Steel- Code in practice.
- J.S. Jagdish, Tejas D. Joshi, “ A Study on Bracing Systems on High Rise Steel Structures ”, International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology, Vol. 2, Issue7, pp. 1672- 1676, July 2013.
- Maheshraddy, Vishwanath B. Patil, “ A Review on Stability Analysis of Multistory Building with Underneath Satellite Bus Stop having Service Soft Storey and Floating Columns ”, International Journal of Scientific Research and Development, Vol.3, Issue 12, pp. 705- 709, 2016.
- Nitin Bhojkar, Mahesh Bagade, “Seismic Evaluation of High Rise Structure by using Steel Bracing System”, International Journal of Innovative Science, Engineering and Technolo - gy, Vol.2, Issue 3, pp. 264-269, March 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.61476.
- Ranjit V. Surve, D.S. Jagtap, Y.P. Pawar, “Performance Based Analysis of Multistoried Building with Soft Storey at Different Levels”, International Journal of Engineering Re - search and Technology, Vol.4, Issue 4, pp. 268-271, April 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.17577/ IJERTV4IS040394.
- Ugale Ashish B and Raut Harshalata R, “Effect of Steel Plate Shear Wall on Behavior of Structure”, 2014
- User’s Manual STAAD.Pro, Bentley Software, 2013.
- Zasiah Tafheem, Shovona Khusru, “Structural Behavior of Steel Building with Concentric and Eccentric Bracing- A Comparative Study”,Vol.4, Issue 1, 2013