Investigations were carried out on the changes in properties of concrete when steel slag is used in concrete in its normal form and after modifying its properties by infusing it with nano silica. The sand is replaced by steel slag and modified steel slag by 10%, 20% and 30% in M30 grade concrete. Tests results on compressive strength and workability of concrete revealed that, compressive strength of concrete cubes after 28 days increased by 25.4%, 26.4% and 45.2% for 10%, 20% and 30% respectively after replacing sand by steel slag. After modification of steel slag properties by infusing it with nano silica, the 28 days compressive strength was observed to be increased by 38.19%, 35.80% and 27.89% for 10%, 20% and 30% as compared to traditional concrete mix respectively after replacement. Infusing steel slag with nano silica increased the compressive strength of concrete mix by 20.17%, 25.74% and 49.64% for 10%, 20% and 30% respectively when compared to normal steel slag concrete mix. It was also observed that using steel slag in concrete mix also influences on water consumption in concrete mix. Workability tests conducted using 0.45 and 0.5 w/c ratio and the inference was that the workability increased with the increase in percentage of steel slag but workability decreases with the increase in percentage of modified steel slag.
Abbreviations: CS: Compressive strength, NS: Nano silica, INSS: Infused Nano Silica Steel slag, FA: Fine aggregate, CA: Coarse aggregate, PSD: Particle size distribution, TC: Traditional concrete, SSC: Steel slag concrete,
- Annual Review Report Prepared in compliance to the provision 8(2) of the MSW Rules, 2000). Central Pollution Control Board MOEF Consolidated
- Chong K, P and Garboczi E, J “Smart and Designer Structural Material Systems”,Progress in Structural Engineering and Materials (2002), Vol.4, p. 417-430.
- Devanoor A and Nagakumar M S (2014), Studies On Soil Stabilization Using Blast Furnace Slag, International Journal Of Advanced Engineering and Research and Technology, ISSN No 2348 – 8190 Pg No 61 - 65
- Firoozi A A, Taha M R, Firoozi A A, (2014), Nanotechnology in Civil Engineering, EJGE vol 19, Bund T.
- Fistric M, Strineka A, Roskovic R, (2010) Properties Of Steel Slag Aggregate And Steel Slag Asphalt Institute IGH Laboratory IGH, Zagrab Croatia pp1358 – 1366.
- Gurjeet Singh*, Sanjay Sangwan, Mohd. Usman (2015) Experimental Study Of Blast Furnace Slag Concrete, International Journal Of Engineering Sciences & Research Technology , ISSN: 2277-9655 (I2OR), Publication Impact Factor: 3.785
- Indian Minerals Yearbook 2014 (Part- II : Metals & Alloys) 53rd Edition slag-iron and steel (final release) government of India ministry of mines Indian bureau of mines Indira Bhavan, Civil Lines,NAGPUR pp 71-1 to 71-8.
- Jaglan H , Mital A, (2015) Review On Stabilization Of Soil By Steel Industry Waste IJRREST International Journal Of Research Review In Engineering Science & Technology (Issn 2278–6643) pages 228-230.
- Kavak A and Bilgen G (2016) Reuse of Ground Granulated Blast Furnace Slag (GGBFS) in Lime Stabilized Embankment Materials IACSIT International Journal of Engineering and Technology pp 11-14.
- Kevin A. Holliday (1996) ,Steel Slag - The High Performance Industrial Aggregate Steel world 1997, 2, 11-14.
- Khalid R, Sharda S, Ritesh M, Patel, R, D, (2014) Comparative Strength Analysis of Concrete by Using Steel Slag as an Alternative to Normal Aggregates (Coarse) in Concrete International Journal of Computer & Mathematical Sciences 3(5). p 53-57.
- Khan Z A, Rezqallah H M, Khalaf A. Al-Ofi, and Khan N, (2002) Review of steel slag utilization in saudi Arabia. The 6th Saudi Engineering Conference, KFUPM, Dhahran, December pp 369-382.
- Koranne S S , Valunjkar S S, (2015), Utilization Of Steel Slag In Roads Of Marathawada Region, International Journal Of Innovations In Engineering Research And Technology, 2(7) 1-7.
- Lim J.W. Chew L., Thomas S.Y. Choong ,T C and M.H. Yazdi, (2016), Overview of Steel Slag Application and Utilization, MATEC Web of Conferences 74, 00026 (2016), DOI: 10.1051/matecconf/20167400026
- Liqian Qia, Jiaxiang Liua*, Qian Liua (2015) Compound Effect of CaCO3 and CaSO4 ·2H2 O on the Strength of Steel Slag - Cement Binding Materials, Received: July 4, 2015; Revised: October 10, 2015; Accepted: November 20, 2015, Materials Research. 2016; 19(2): 269-275 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/1980-5373-MR-2015-0387
- Mahmoud A, (2012) Evaluation of the use of steel slag in Concrete,ARRB Conference – Shaping the future: Linking policy, research and outcomes, Perth, Australia, pp 1-9
- Md. Safiuddin, MohdZamin Jumaat, M. A. Salam, M. S. Islam and R. H,(2010), Utilization of solid wastes in construction materials, International Journal of the Physical Sciences Vol. 5(13), pp. 1952-1963.
- Monosi S, Ruello M L, Sani D, (2015) Electric arc furnace slag as natural aggregate replacement in concrete Production Universit_a Politecnica delle Marche, Ancona, pp 66-72.
- Oluwasolaa E A, Mohd Rosli Hainina,b*, Md. Maniruzzaman A. Azizacv (2014) Characteristics and Utilization of Steel Slag in Road Construction Jurnal Teknologi. pp 117-123.
- Pappu A, Saxena M, Asolekar SR (2007). Solid Wastes Generation inIndia and their Recycling Potential in Building Materials. Building and Environment, 42:2311-2320. pp 2311-2320
- Patel A S, Rathod H A, Sharma N D (2013), An Overview on Application of Nanotechnology in Construction Industry, International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, PP 6094 TO 6098 2(11) ISSN: 2319-8753.
- Patil S, Bachhav S, Kshirsagar, D, Y (2016) Use of steel slag in construction of flexible pavement International Journal of Engineering and Innovative Technology (IJEIT) pp 24-27
- Pofale A D Mohammed N (2012) Experimental investigation of using slag as an alternative to normal aggregates (coarse and fine) in concrete (ISSN 0976 – 4399). pp 117-127.
- Shi C, (2004) Steel Slag—Its Production, Processing, Characteristics and Cementitious Properties Journal Of Materials In Civil Engineering © Asce, J. Mater. Civ. Eng., 2004, 16(3): 230-236.
- Singh, S.P.1 and Murmu, M. (2013) Eco-friendly concrete using by-products of Steel industry Department of Civil Engineering, National Institute of Technology, Rourkela-769008, Orissa, India. https://www.scribd.com/document/102003387/Eco-Journal, 1-14.
- Srivastava A, Singh K (2011) Nanotechnology In Civil Engineering And Construction: A Review on State of the Art and Future Prospects, Proceedings of Indian Geotechnical Conference December 15-17, 2011, Kochi (Paper No.R-024).
- Steel Slag - Material Description - User Guidelines for Waste and By product Materials in Pavement Construction - FHWA-RD-97-148.
- Taylor M, (2006) An Assessment of Iron and Steel Slag for treatment of Storm water Pollution. Landcare Research Private Bag, 3127 Hamilton.
- Yildirim, I. Z., M. Prezzi, M. Vasudevan, and H. Santoso (2013). Use of Soil-Steel Slag- Class-C Fly Ash Mixtures in Subgrade Applications. Publication FHWA/IN/JTRP-2013/06. Joint Transportation Research Program, Indiana Department of Transportation and Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana,. doi: 10.5703/1288284315188.
- Yoshizawa S, Tanaka M, Shekdar AV (2004). Global Trends in Waste Generation. In Recycling, Waste Treatment and Clean Technology,TMS Mineral, Metals and Materials Publishers. pp : 1259-1264.
- Zeghichi L, (2006) “The Effect of Replacement of Naturals Aggregates by Slag Products on the Strength of Concrete, ”Asian Journal of Civil Engineering (Building and Housing),Vol. 7,2006, pp.27-35.
- Ziemkiewicz P. (1992) National Mine Land Reclamation Center, West Virginia University, Box 6064, Morgantown, WV 26505-6064. pp 44-62.